23 June 2010

A New Beginning...

Times flies...when you're having fun, I guess?

It's been quite some time since I updated this blog, and it fell a bit by the wayside.  Originally, this blog was a project that I started for one of my teacher education courses at Michigan State University, as a sort of "teaching notebook." The blog format ended up not working out for my purposes, and unfortunately, I neglected it for almost 2 years. I'm sorry, blog. Now, as I search for my first teaching job, I feel like this might be a good place to document this time in my life. Especially since I spend a great deal of my day online anyway--searching for, bookmarking, and applying for teaching jobs here in Michigan.  Perhaps when I get totally frustrated with the hunt, this blog will serve as a much needed forum for decompression. Hopefully, though, the scope of this blog can move beyond a simple sounding board for my frustration. After all, if that's all it turned out to be, things could get a little hairy around here. In time, I hope that it can evolve into a space for me to share the triumphs and tribulations of my first classroom. Baby steps for now, though.

For now, I feel like I'm still "The Almost Teacher." Without the promise of a job in my future, I still feel "almost" there.  Granted, I've finished my year-long teaching internship, and my certification is processing through the state Dept. of Ed. at this very moment. Both momentous occasions. A job would be most momentous, though, before I end up feeling like this:



Enough complaining/ moping about the job situation! I've got an exciting opportunity coming up this weekend. Tomorrow, I get to return to Michigan State University to work with the Red Cedar Writing Project for their annual Greenrock Writers' Retreat. My big job, other than working with the writers, is going to be to compile the anthology for this year.  It's going to be a compilation of the writing that the kids do during the retreat, as well as photos documenting all of the fun we had.  I'm working with a couple of really great educators, and I'm practically giddy (okay, maybe more than practically) about this experience.  I get to work with really motivated and talented kids, stay in the dorms again (and eat awesome MSU cafeteria food all weekend!), and create something for these kids that will help them remember this weekend forever! I'm going to be up all night, packing probably, but more likely just being excited!

No comments: