14 July 2010

Things are starting to move and shake...in a good way!

Soon after I posted my first entry on this re-conceived version of my blog--and when I say soon, I mean within 24 hours--I got a phone call for my first teaching interview. Needless to say, this was an enormous relief. I at least knew that I was successfully getting my resume out there and that others thought I was as qualified as I thought I was--enough to deserve an interview.  I spent the whole weekend simultaneously eagerly and nervously anticipating my Monday interview. Monday came, and I went to the interview with my portfolio in tow, a nervous stomach, and lots of encouragement from my friends and family. The interview went really well; I know this because I thought so, and they told me so as we finished up. The next day, I got a phone call from one of the principals on my interview panel, letting me know that they had decided to move forward with a couple of candidates with at least one year of experience in the classroom.

Big. Fat. Bummer.

At first, my thoughts were, "Wait just a hot second! What was I doing from September to April, precisely?" It's not like I completed a 10-week or 16-week long teaching internship (not that I'm saying anything against any certification program that offers their internships as such). Thirty-three weeks I taught, and for those entire 33 weeks, I was solely responsible for one entire class of ninth graders, in addition to the long stretches when I was required to pick up extra preps. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth, which really only added to the nervous stomach I'd developed. Sweet.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was okay. I was going to be okay. People were looking at my resume, and I now knew that in at least one case, they were impressed enough to take time from their day to get to know me as an educator. Yes, I technically have one year of classroom experience, and that's significantly more than some others leave their Teacher Ed. programs with. I would hesitate to say that I believe that the year I just finished will be anything in comparison to my first year in my own classroom, so I can understand their decision. I have to be gracious and appreciate that interview for what it was. It was a chance, and it was one more chance that I had the week before.

I continued to pore over the (actually quite numerous) job openings across the state of Michigan. I expanded my search to include some areas that I wasn't originally going to consider. Just as I was starting to get all pukey again about my efforts, I was asked for another interview. Later that same day, I was randomly called for a phone interview at yet another school district. Granted, that phone interview did not go well because a) I was on the way to hospital to support a family member during surgery, b) I was caught completely off-guard by the administrator, who wanted to conduct the interview right then, and c) I really don't enjoy talking on the phone to very many people. I was also generally unimpressed with the other side of the conversation, which really didn't feel like a conversation as much as it did an interrogation. Ahem. I've digressed.

I went to my next interview, which went even better than the first one. I was more comfortable. I had a lot in common with my interview panel, in many different ways. We laughed a lot. It was...fun? Yes, fun. I'm waiting to hear something from that high school. At the suggestion of my very Catholic grandmother, I am also imploring St. Jude (the patron saint of hopeless cases. I don't know whether to take that as a vote of confidence, Grandma...) for his assistance. As much as I want a job, more than anything I want the right job, so that's what I'm asking for.

On the way home from that interview, I got a phone call for a pre-interview "walk-through"  at another high school. Now, I've never heard of this approach to the interview process, and I don't know how common it is. It was stressed when I was invited that this was supposed to be a really informal chance for the school to get to know me and for me to get to know the school. Literally, the principal who called told me that it was really a chance for the school to brag about how great they are. My walk-though was today, and again, it was actually pretty fun. It was just me and an assistant principal, walking around the school, chatting about what they have to offer and me asking about what I was interested in about their school system. I'll hear close to the end of the week if they'd like me to come in for a formal interview next week.

Plus, my dream school just posted an English job opening on Friday.

Things are starting to happen. For me, that's a good feeling.


A few personal notes from this week: 

1.  I saw the trailer for Charlie St. Cloud, Zac Efron's new movie, and I thought, "Hm, haven't really seen much from him in a while." 17 Again happened to be On Demand for free, and so I re-watched it. I have to say, I truly enjoy that movie. I don't know exactly why, although it probably has something to do with the massive crush I've had on Matthew Perry since I was 8 years old.  While I was watching, I was reminded of a couple of songs on the soundtrack that I meant to download a long time ago--The Kooks' "Naive" and Spoon's "The Underdog." I like The Kooks song because it's incredibly catchy, and I find myself listening to it repeatedly and singing along. I know I like a song if I can get in the car karaoke zone with it. You know, that place where you can imagine the drivers of passing cars looking over at you wielding your air mic and thinking, "Day-um, she's awesome!" No? Only me? Okay. The Spoon song I like mostly because I'm a sucker for those brass horns and the lines, " You got no time for the messenger/ Got no regard for the thing that you don't understand/ You got no fear of the underdog/ That's why you will not survive." I mean, take that, you!

I can't resist posting the videos.






2. My mom loves Deadliest Catch (like wants-to-move-to-Alaska-and-marry-a-crab-fisherman love), and so we watch it pretty religiously. Tonight's episode was the final farewell to Phil Harris, one of the fisherman on the show, and it was pretty heart-wrenching.

3. Check out my cute cartoon version of me on the right side of the blog! I don't know if it really looks that much like me, but goodness, I wish my hair looked like that every day!

This post has grown far too long and probably far too boring. For your sake, I'll resist the urge to keep typing.

No comments: